Q Is the school’s primary focus on Massage Therapy?
- Massage Therapy has become a rapidly growing field. Many schools have added Massage Programs to their school. Often, the focus of the school is not on Massage Therapy, which may affect the strength and focus of their program.
- Gentle Healing School of Massage is ONLY a Massage School. Massage is our sole focus and with smaller classes, we are able to offer more one on one attention to our students.
Q Who owns the Massage School and what is their background?
- When deciding on your massage education, it is a good idea to look into the background of the school and the development of the Massage Therapy Program. Some schools are owned by corporations that focus more on the financial success of the school. Often the school owners are never even seen by the students, since they are located off campus.
- The Gentle Healing School of Massage Owner, Founder and Director, Donda Sternberg, has been a practicing massage therapist for over 20 years and still practices today. Donda also owns and operates a Wellness Spa. This allows for our educational goals to be realistic and based on “real-life” experience. All of our students meet with the Owner / Director at least twice during their program and Donda has an open door policy for students to meet with her at anytime. We also remain in touch with our students so that we can continue to support them with their future as holistic healers.
Q Are there a wide variety of Instructors involved with teaching your Massage Program? Do they specialize in different Modalities? How many years of experience do they possess in their particular field of Massage?
- You should make sure that the people involved with the school have worked for several years in the field and have real life experience to understand the current needs of their Massage Students.
- You will have a minimum of 7 Instructors during your experience at Gentle Healing, which offers the opportunity for you to experience a wide variety of knowledge and skills. Our instructors have between 8–25 years of experience. Many of them own businesses that specialize in the modality they teach, which allows them to bring “real world” knowledge to the classroom. Since we are accredited, our instructors are required to have a minimum of 3 years experience in the massage field; however our instructors average 8 or more years in their field.
Q What type of Learning Environment does the school offer?
- Make sure to visit the schools you are considering. Do you feel inspired and supported by the environment?
- Gentle Healing School of Massage is located in a new 5500 square foot building, designed just for this massage school. The school is designed to look and feel like an old Victorian setting with inspirational sayings throughout the building.
Q Does the school teach about mind, body and spirit, incorporating both Eastern and Western philosophies?
- Massage Therapy is an ancient art that began with many Eastern Philosophies. These philosophies incorporate the fact that we are more than just physical beings; we are also beings of energy. The Western Philosophies offer more of a scientific approach, which looks at the physical aspects of our anatomy.
- Gentle Healing School of Massage identifies and respects all aspects and philosophies of Massage. Students will learn the scientific approach by learning all about the body’s Anatomy and Physiology, Pathologies, bones and muscles. Students are also introduced to several Eastern Modalities which incorporate the physical and the energetic aspects of massage into their training. All classes begin with a meditation to help our students focus their energies and incorporate them into their healing practice.
Q Is the school ACCREDITED?
- Several states require your Massage school training to be from an accredited school in order to accept your training for their state certificate or licensure. If the school is not accredited, you will have to complete the entire training in that state. This could be very costly.
- Gentle Healing School of Massage is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). In order to achieve and maintain Accreditation, we are required to maintain a high standard of education and proven success rates in Graduation percentage and employment percentage. Gentle Healing submits yearly information to ACCSC in order to remain accredited and is audited on a regular basis. In 2011, Gentle Healing School of Massage was awarded the “School of Excellence” award by ACCSC.
Q Is the school approved by major massage organizations?
- Well established Massage Schools are associated with several major massage organizations, which approve their program and require schools to complete a re-certification process every year.
- Gentle Healing School of Massage has been approved by other outside institutions such as the NJDOE, AMTA, ABMP, and the NCBTMB. Because of these approvals you are receiving education from a school that maintains a high level of instruction due to yearly re-certifications.
Q What is the school’s Completion Rate? (The percentage of students who are enrolled in the program whom have actually completed the program and graduated)
- If a school has a completion rate below 70%, often it is a sign that the level of education received is not what was promised when the student decided to enroll in the school or they do not feel supported by the staff and faculty to successfully complete the program.
- Gentle Healing School of Massage has a completion Rate of 100% (based on 2012 ACCSC Annual Completion Rate statistics). By offering smaller classes, students receive individual attention from their instructors.